Tuesday, March 18, 2008

IYOR Talk at Woodlands Ring Primary School

Today, I was invited by Woodlands Ring Primary School to give a talk on our wonderful shore life and marine conservation as part of the International Year of the Reef (IYOR) 2008 activities :)



My audience for the day were about 80 enthusiastic Science and Environment Club students and their teachers. Pardon the poor quality of the photo, as I forgot to bring my digital camera, and had to use my primitive mobile phone camera :P

Basically, the students were introduced to the various marine life that can be found on our shores - it's just like going for one of my guided walks minus the walking and interaction with the nature stuff. Well, nothing beats the REAL experience of going out to our shores to see and feel things yourself, but guess this is still better than reading from a book which doesn't come with much interaction :P

And sure enough, the students made full use of this opportunity to interact with the speaker, that is, me!

My talk usually last for about an hour, but the students were so interested in the various local marine life, that they kept asking questions in between and the session eventually dragged on to about 1 hour and 45 minutes! And even then, I had to rush through my last few slides as they had to leave school at 6pm. It just felt great to know that so many of our younger Singaporeans were so keen to find out more about the wildlife our splendid shores support!

Here's a quick collage of some of the things highlighted during my talk:



All in all, it was a great experience sharing what I know about our shore life with such a wonderful audience. Sure am looking forward to my next talk at the end of the month :)

If you are interested in my talks, just leave a message in the comments or the tagboard with your email address. Alternatively, you may visit the IYOR website for details on the other talks available and how to go about inviting the speakers.

No comments: